Sunday, July 22, 2012

Skip the Song & Get to the Cake!



I know, I know the best part of a birthday party is the presents - but for me it's the cake! That is creating the perfect cake for the chosen theme. My neighbor has a friend who's daughter was celebrating her 5th birthday. She loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I didn't want to do the classic pirates chest but I did want to include a lagoon and palm
trees.  

This is how I made the palm trees...

I made a batch of royal icing and tinted it green. I turned a cupcake tin upside down and placed rounded pieces of foil over the cupcake molds. Using a leaf tip I squeezed the frosting out while moving my tip in and out making ripples in the frosting, then stopping and making a point at the end.
Continue filling in adding three small leaves to crown the top of your tree. I always make a few more then I will actual need, just in case of breakage.
Let dry for two days. When completely dry carefully remove the foil and turn completed palm leaves upside down; squeeze a dollop of green royal icing to the center and place a pretzel rod and hold for a few seconds then let dry. You will only need to let this set up for a few hours before placing completed palm trees into cake.

                                                                                                                                                      
 

For the lagoon I tinted vanilla buttercream a light blue and spread it on the cake. I then topped this area with some pipping gel that I tinted blue. The contrast of the light blue buttercream and transparent dark blue gives the water a finished look. The sand is ground graham crackers that I topped with fine sugar glitter...I call it "pixie dust".

 The rope is simply tinted fondant and I used chocolate coins for some bling. For the stones around the water, I added a little black gel food coloring to white fondant and kneaded it just until I got a marble look. I then rolled the fondant into stones.
 The mother was so excited about her daughters cake she commissioned me to do another one for her other daugter. See next post: Hollywood Birthday

1 comment:

  1. This cake is beautiful, how can one even eat this thing. I just want to hang it up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...