Saturday, January 8, 2011

Alice in Wonderland Cake

I made this cake recently for two little girls. I had a lot of fun creating the design for this cake. It's five layers of white cake with a strawberry filling. I frosted it in vanilla buttercream and covered the cake in green fondant.




A tea party needs a pretty table cloth. I placed a piece of fondant on top after I cut out a pretty pattern around the edge. I then encircled the top with pink gum paste flowers and leaves.

A purple and blue fondant rope was wrapped around the bottom of the cake and eatable wafer paper Wonderland Characters were glued on with royal icing, and white chocolate playing cards were added. Wafer paper is made from rice and is paper thin. Food coloring is used to print images onto the paper which then can be cut out and used to decorate cakes and cookies. There is a close up of Alice for you to see the detail manufactures can achieve.



Now a tea party isn't complete without tea cups and saucers. I made this one out of gum paste and attached a gum paste flower and leaf with royal icing. When it was dry I painted it with a  combination of clear vanilla extract and pearl dust. 

I made three large gum paste flowers and leaves, one blue, pink and purple. I attached the flowers and leaves using royal icing.  Gum paste when dried is very hard and fragile. Handle your gum paste creations with care.
 

The completed cake:

Picture courtesy of Aimee D.


3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...