Monday, January 10, 2011
Dessert Theaters and Drama Camps
Dessert Theaters
On occasion I am asked to make desserts for my churches dessert theater. For this particular theater presentation I decided to do a dessert tray of assorted items.
On the menu we have (bottom right;clockwise) chocolate chip cookies, Cranberry Dream Bars (a copycat of a popular coffee shops cranberry bar) Chocolate Truffle Torte (no flour in this baby), Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Lemon Bundt Cake, Snicker Bars Brownies, and a Blueberry Tart.
All these dessert are homemade in my own kitchen. It's a challenging but rewarding experience. Twenty-six tables are set up for three nights of a great performance and great desserts. We can accommodate upwards of 156 people a night. It's a lot of desserts but I love being able to serve doing something I love.
Having an upright freezer in my garage makes a difference. I can make alot of these desserts ahead of time and freeze until the day of each performance.
Youth Drama Camps
This is one of two cakes I made for our youth Drama Camp. The tragedy and comedy mask are made from color flow. Color flow is a decorating technique using a mixture of water, color flow mix, and powdered sugar. It take a long time for color flow to dry so plan on 2-3 days of drying time. I don't have an air brush (yet) so I used the color sprays you can find in the baking isle at your local grocery.
The second cake, and my favorite, is this Lil' Orphan Annie cake. This was the production the youth performed at the completion of camp. I printed an image I found online and enlarged it. I then traced the image onto a piece of parchment paper. I then placed the parchment paper on my frosted cake and using a toothpick, poked little holes through the paper leaving an image. I then piped around the image using black buttercream and filled it in with buttercream using a pastry bag and a star tip. Annie's name is made of color flow, and the yellow is colored spray and topped with yellow edible glitter.
Labels:
butter-cream,
cakes,
color-flow,
desserts,
theater
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I just love those cakes..and one of my favorite movies was Annie..amazing decoration!!!
ReplyDelete